by Riley Silverman | Dec 15, 2017 | Recipes
Make your whole house smell like the holidays with these easy-to-make ginger gems. Sweet and spicy, just like Riley!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 1/4 cups flour or gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (see note below)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For rolling: 1 cup granulated sugar
- Electric or hand mixer
- Cellophane or wax paper
- Parchment paper or a baking sheet
- Cookie sheet
- Mixing Bowls
- Cooling rack
- Microplane grater
- Add butter, brown sugar, egg, and molasses to a mixing bowl
- Use the mixer to blend until smooth and creamy
- Then add all the dry ingredients (except the granulated sugar) to the bowl.
- Starting slowly, blend into the ginger gems mixture until it is thick and no flour is seen.
- Put a piece of cellophane or wax paper on the counter and spoon the mixture onto 1/3 of the sheet
- Shape into a log, roll up the dough, and put it in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Break the cold cookie dough into one-inch pieces and roll in hands until smooth.
- Put the granulated sugar in a shallow dish and roll the cookie balls in the sugar until they are coated all over.
- Place the balls 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet that has a piece of parchment paper or a baking sheet on it.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Longer makes for crispier cookies
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for one minute, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Yield – Makes about 2 dozen cookies
Riley’s Rockin’ Recipes are designed for kids to make at home with easy to find ingredients, and are brought to you by Sodexo and the MUSC Office of Health Promotion.
More Rockin’ Recipes: